Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Palazza Pitti and Black Forest Cake

What do the Palazza Pitti and Black Forest Cake have in common?

Answer> if you try to take in too much of SUCH a rich thing, you'll explode. I could never have imagined such opulence before today. It was the Medici palace for 2 centuries after the downfall of the Pitti family... silk wallpaper, frescoed ceilings, stone inlaid tables, ebony and carved ivory, huge handmade carpets, walls covered with huge paintings by Rafael, Titian, Fra LippoLippi... Everywhere you look, there is wealth...

Going backwards a couple days...I must fill in the space after the last entry about my terrible, awful, no-good night at the hostel. It got worse, with loud arguments in the street and machines and people coming and going, and the girl who snored through it all of course woke up early... onandon...finally the whole mess turned into rain and just imagine a very deflated me sitting in the lobby of the hostel wondering where to start. I was just about to venture out into the Florentine wilderness when I heard a brisk Italian accent say, Now who is coming on this tour? The hostel offered a free walking tour of Florence. So off we all went under our umbrellas to see Santa Maria del Fiore, San Lorenzo etc. etc. The guide was very good and cheerful in spite of the rain. And I met 3 people ... Or from Israel, Macarena from Chile, and Alessandra from Brazil. We went to the Accademia together to see the real David... the REAL David!... and later had dinner together in the hostel where we were joined by Besan from Japan who played a mean classical guitar and could pick up most songs that Or threw at him... we sang for several hours and my heart was full.

I moved to a private room so have been sleeping... important on this kind of journey. Tomorrow I will take a bus to Siena and San Gimignano.

No comments:

Post a Comment