Tuesday, November 3, 2009

ferrara

First full day in Italy...disoriented and tired but also elated, especially after my first true gelato. A new flavour for me, called guili, filled with yummy crunchy bits of nuts and cioccolata. That's when I actually noticed it had stopped raining and the sky was blue!

I accomplished quite a lot, not least being that I'm actually using my Italian... awkwardly, but I'm making myself understood. Ho comprato formaggio (I bought cheese) and crackers and an apple for lunch under the Castle Estense, and cinque cartolini and francobelli (postcards and stamps) and some Maalox for this annoying heartburn... what a thing to be afflicted with in the land of wonderful food! I'm staying in the Hostel Estense in a dormer with one other woman, and it's clean, quiet and cheap.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can get to Buonacompra (my Nonna's village) on the bus. Or perhaps I'll get to a bigger center and take a cab... just don't want to chance driving here.

Now let's see if these two photos uploaded as I requested...

No comments:

Post a Comment