Saturday, November 7, 2009

Highs and Lows

Along with the moments of bliss and real ecstasy are bound to be the other kind... yesterday the joy of being in my Nonna's birthplace, the day before the ecstasy of seeing Venice and eating TWO gelati. The day before the pleasure of exploring Ferrara with a friendly fellow traveller named Jim who retired from teaching 4 years ago and has been travelling ever since.

Today, a different kind of day. First, not one but two drunks accosted me in the train station in Bologna. The first called me a very rude name that starts with putt... when I refused him money, which actually led to a nice conversation with the Italian lady nearest me... and the second started yelling "pesante, pesante" at me and then followed me when I tried to get away... I hid behind a bunch of teenage girls who were being guarded by an older woman. We all moved away nervously. I haven't found out what pesante means yet.

I spent a few hours strolling down Bologna's main street, Via del Independenza, to the square. Missed the bus I was planning to take a tour on---yet another bus missed---so walked back to the station and enjoyed a slab of pizza standing in the street. Evidently this is an Italian tradition because the cost triples if you sit down to eat it. Then bought a ticket at the nifty machine and remembered to validate it, then, after escaping the pesante man, boarded the train to Florence where, once again, I went in the wrong direction and was helped by a friendly stranger.

Now, in a hostel... My experience in the hostel in Ferrara was so good I decided to try again. Not so lucky this time... young male party animals next door are stronger even than wax earplugs AND pillow wrapped around head. Might as well get up and write a blog. Wait... I think they've left to party elsewhere! Oh... Buona notte. Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment