Friday, November 6, 2009

Ieri, Venezia

Ieri, Venezia...domani, Firenze!
(Yesterday, Venice, tomorrow, Florence...)

It sounds ridiculous to have had only one day in Venice, but at least I had a mini experience of the world's sinking city... water and bridges everywhere! And tourists everywhere, even in November. The sky cleared in the afternoon, and with the sun beating down in San Marco Square, everywhere you looked were people taking pictures of people. I walked from the train station through all the little alleys leading to the great square... so many craftspeople making glass beads and masks and leather book covers...Saw some exquisite jewellery, and also the Pala d'Oro with its 300 sapphires, 300 emeralds, 1300 pearls etc... I figure I was in the company of billions of dollars of precious things yesterday. Then I took the water bus back around the canal, back to the station. Interesting to see all the people who lived there hopping on and off with shopping bags and children... just normal life for them.

Today I took a local bus to Sant'Agostino, close to where my Nonna was born. Really not a tourist center, but it was good for my heart to travel through the country that she and my grandfather knew so well. It suddenly struck me while touring a grand palace in Ferrara, that my grandfather would never have been allowed to see what I was seeing, and I could almost feel him peeking through my eyes in complete amazement!

Tomorrow I will move all my belongings (a suitcase) to Florence, and immerse myself in the precious things there for a week or so.

After all this travelling, it will feel wonderful to unpack my suitcase and stay awhile!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Louise. I think I have this working now, but I'll say again what a treat it is to follow you on your travels! I hope the sore throat has healed by now. One question: why is that your grandfather would not have been allowed to see what you are seeing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It almost sounds like you're having fun at last!

    ReplyDelete