Sunday, October 11, 2009

The day after the wedding

Today is the day after... what a wonderful day. Beautiful, funny, emotional. I cried all through the ceremony. I'll post pictures when I have the right flash card reader for the new camera. After the mothers were seated, my son entered to taped dance music, wearing dark glasses... strode down the aisle like a gangsta, holding hands with his little brother, Jade, in orange sunglasses and who, as ring bearer, carried a huge silver briefcase containing the rings. Can't describe my emotions. Then came 7 groomsmen, all in sunglasses with bright orange ties and roses. Then the bridesmaids, in black dresses with orange scarves and bouquets of orange roses, to slow romantic music, and last, lovely Laura in traditional white gown. At the reception, a Mennonite Thanksgiving dinner. I'd forgotten food could taste like that! Later, the young people went Oktoberfesting, since KW (Kitchener Waterloo) is the place to be for that odd celebration of beer and sausage...

Backing up a bit, the trip across Canada was delightful. I love the prairies, and felt like I was coming home as I drove through Northern Ontario, even though I still had 2 days of driving before I would actually arrive in my old stomping grounds. After only a few days in Kitchener, I flew to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia for a visit with my 91 year old mother who couldn't come to Micah's wedding, then back to Owen sound where...

Where I bought a house!!! Yes! It's a small, no-frills ranch style bungalow on a dead end street, 10 minute walk from down town. Across the street, not houses but... the Sydenham River, complete with swans and a huge weeping willow. The back yard is like a private park, and the salmon run is a 5 minute walk. I take possession Dec.3rd. Lovely to know I have a home to come to after my travels.

Which I'm not really prepared for... I didn't allow much time to research, though just bought a Rick Steve's book of travel tips which I should have read a month ago! I fly out tomorrow evening and arrive in London on Tuesday morning. Feels surreal. I cannot recommend highly enough... to anyone foolish enough to sell their house, drive across the country for their son's wedding, find and buy a new house and then leave for Europe all in less than 2 months....the benefits of Valerian and Bach Rescue Remedy drops. Truly.

More to come.

1 comment:

  1. Louise what a great adventure! Please do alert me when you have posted and start sharing photos. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete