Monday, October 18, 2010

OSSIA begins again

Tonight was the first night for my singing group in Owen Sound, after completing the training in Victoria. What a gas! I'm so high!
Of course there was a wide range of musical ability, so many stops and starts, and much laughter. I just loved everyone who came, and felt so grateful to them for... well, for letting me PLAY with them and try out some of what I had learned!

I call the group OSSIA. I found it one sleepless night at 3 am. It is a musical term meaning a suggested alternative, and comes from the Latin "or let it be". As an acronym, it stands for Owen Sound Singers in Accord. How could I pass that by?

We learned 6 or 7 songs, starting with "We are a'beginning" and with some coaching, they sang harmonies. We ended with the Contemplation Chant, a peaceful way to end after all the laughter. And we learned my personal favourite... Grind that coffee. Not spiritual or erudite, but who cares. It's fun!

What is it about singing? We all have memories of singing in the car on family outings, or around a campfire with a guitar, or hearing our mothers sing... I once heard an afternoon workshop of working songs at Mariposa Folk Festival, and Pete Seeger (bless him!) sang a lullaby... he said, that's a working song if there was one. My colicky baby would stop crying when I played piano with him in the snuggly, but he would squirm and whimper when I made mistakes... true story!

The magic of vibration!

No comments:

Post a Comment